Re: Getting 320x200 in X, Installing Gnome with apt-get

Hi Andor,
Ok, I think I'll move onto testing as I'm interested in newer Gnome versions such as 2.6. I've changed all references in my sources.list from stable to testing and am running apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade right now. Hope this is the right action. I got the impression it should be done like this by Googling a bit and reading bits of the apt-howto.

YOu have to choose for one of these and edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list accordingly.
I think testing would be ok for me. I'm very new to Linux and have read in various places that unstable can get you in trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

and yes killall <programname> will kill all instances of that program.
Thanks, can I use DOS-style wildcards or regexp?

also ctr+alt+backspace kills an xserer.
It keeps coming back. But if I kill it many times in a row, it will then shut down and show some text on a black background only. As I'm currently controlling the machine remotely through the serial port, most output apart from X appears on the Windows machine running the terminal emulator. In fact this is the same machine on which I'm writing this e-mail.

r128?
yes that's the ATI rage128 driver.
Ah, thx. How do you know this, where can I see some kind of a driver file name to human readable name mapping, hehe?

ATI is good supported btw.
Are the drivers open source? I thought at least NVidia distributes only binary packages.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: