Re: Web browsing

Boris Daix <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:

> Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org> writes:
>
>> Boris Daix <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:
>>
>>> first point should be "Browsing the Web".  So please share your tips
>>> so that I can report them in the manual,
>>
>> The two most important VFAQs which come to mind are:
>
> V stands for "very" or for "virtual" ? :-)
Very.

>> 1. How to enable the cursor in lynx?
>>    (Option SHOW_CURSOR:TRUE in lynx.cfg or -show_cursor argument)
>> 2. How to enable the cursor in links:
>>    F10 -> Setup -> (T)erminal Options: Uncheck "Block cursor" checkbox
>
> Do you think we should give a short idea of the differences between
> those text-browsers, or simply give practical notes about them ?  Of
> course we won't fall in infinite trolls, but it may help.

Well, the most important differencies for me are that links and
w3m render frames on-screen, lynx does not do this.
Also, on pages which are organized using table cells, lynx
does not write the columns next to each other, it renders them
horizontally.  This makes reading with braille displays
and especially speech synths much easier.  To see what I'm
talking about, simply try to read slashdot.org with lynx,
and then with links and w3m.  links and w3m will end up drawing
a very narrow column in the middle of the screen, which contains
the actual Articles.  On the left and right of that column, you'll
see the menu, and other links.  Lynx would render this simply
by first rendering the left column, then below, rendering the middle
column, which contains the important text, and then, rendering
the right column below that.  This makes it much easier
to read.

Re JavaScript, last time I checked, links and elinks
had no significant JS support.  That href js-type parsing, I do
not consider js-support :)

BTW, talking about lynx, links, and w3m, we should not forget:
w3-el-e21 and w3m-el and surfraw

--
CYa,