Re: Debian Academy BoF in DebConf22

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 at 02:17, gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:

There's also https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianNet

Thanks Gregor, this is really useful.
I can also install Moodle etc. on my servers (I don’t need to get any permissions for this), but it is better if it is hosted on the resources supported by DebianNet.

(As a side note, I still think that the Debian Academy project first
needs a concept and only later technical infratstructure.)

I agree that the vision of the project is more important. Building the infrastructure is easy, once you have a clear idea what is needed.

In my opinion, we should aim at providing interactive courses, where teachers and students communicate in real time. This is much more interesting and engaging than just providing some online resources that the students are supposed to learn by themselves (either reading some docs or whatching some videos).

In this case, besides Moodle, we need also a BigBlueButton server, which can be integrated very well with Moodle and is optimized for teaching. BBB can be further optimized by installing a TURN server.

It may also be nice to install a Virtual Computer Lab (with Guacamole and Debian machines installed in docker containers).

I do have experience with installing and maintaining all this stuff. Using Docker containers and XLC containers, it is possible to install everything in a single machine, even on a VPS. However it needs 3 public IPs, one for Moodle, Guacamole, etc., another one for the BBB server, and another one for the TURN server. I can give you more details, if needed, about why BBB and TURN need a separate IP.

A good option might be to use a dedicated server from Hetzner, which would cost about 45€ / month:
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver
However other solutions might be suitable too.

In any case, we need support from at least one DD, before we can ask DebianNet to help us with resources. Unfortunately I am not a DD. Is there anyone willing to support this?

Regards,
Dashamir