Re: another attempt at Y2038

On October 18, 2022 1:33:17 PM UTC, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>I would love to do that for m68k as well. We could use this opportunity to
>rebuild the m68k port with 32-bit alignment which would solve quite a number
>of problems since many projects like LLVM and Qt assume a minimum alignment
>of 32 bits while m68k still defaults to 16 bits.

Should have probably done that long ago when the TLS thing broke the ABI.

But.. did anyone do something similar before? I am wondering how many programs may store data on disk in binary form without any consideration for CPU alignment these days? Also, would we change the kernel and interfaces at the same time? How about boot programs and similar?

 Richard