Re: another attempt at Y2038

Hi Helmut!

On 10/18/22 12:48, Helmut Grohne wrote:
I was also wondering about this Y2038 thingy and did some experiments.
I'm reporting what I found to document it, but don't see much actionable
stuff here. Many thanks to Arnd Bergmann for his input.

Attempt #1: rebootstrap

Given that I develop rebootstrap, attempting to use it for a time64
bootstrap seemed quite natural. I've been talking to this with Steve
multiple times including DC22. The question was how to plug it in. In
the end I went for Arnd's suggestion to set DPKG_*_APPEND variables to
modify dpkg-buildflags. Not every package uses these flags, but a
majority do. For a survey, this is probably good enough.

I would love to do that for m68k as well. We could use this opportunity to
rebuild the m68k port with 32-bit alignment which would solve quite a number
of problems since many projects like LLVM and Qt assume a minimum alignment
of 32 bits while m68k still defaults to 16 bits.

Since the time64 rebootstrap would break the ABI anyway, we could use to fix
alignment issue on m68k once and for all :-).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer