Re: another attempt at Y2038

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > Given that I develop rebootstrap, attempting to use it for a time64
> > bootstrap seemed quite natural. I've been talking to this with Steve
> > multiple times including DC22. The question was how to plug it in. In
> > the end I went for Arnd's suggestion to set DPKG_*_APPEND variables to
> > modify dpkg-buildflags. Not every package uses these flags, but a
> > majority do. For a survey, this is probably good enough.
>
> I would love to do that for m68k as well. We could use this opportunity to
> rebuild the m68k port with 32-bit alignment which would solve quite a number
> of problems since many projects like LLVM and Qt assume a minimum alignment
> of 32 bits while m68k still defaults to 16 bits.

Are you talking about time64 related alignment here, or in general?

Isn't the alignment is dictated by the 68k SysV ABI? Does this mean that
Debian and another X 68k distro (say, embedded builds), that decides not
to go ahead with this change not to be ABI compatible?

Doesn't this need compiler changes as well? (Example: natural alignment of
the stack on m68k (non-CF) is still two, enforced by the CPU behavior, and
needs changes to stackframe management if you want to change this to 4).

Charlie