Re: another attempt at Y2038

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 03:33:17PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>Hi Helmut!
>
>On 10/18/22 12:48, Helmut Grohne wrote:
>> I was also wondering about this Y2038 thingy and did some experiments.
>> I'm reporting what I found to document it, but don't see much actionable
>> stuff here. Many thanks to Arnd Bergmann for his input.
>>
>> Attempt #1: rebootstrap
>>
>> Given that I develop rebootstrap, attempting to use it for a time64
>> bootstrap seemed quite natural. I've been talking to this with Steve
>> multiple times including DC22. The question was how to plug it in. In
>> the end I went for Arnd's suggestion to set DPKG_*_APPEND variables to
>> modify dpkg-buildflags. Not every package uses these flags, but a
>> majority do. For a survey, this is probably good enough.
>
>I would love to do that for m68k as well. We could use this opportunity to
>rebuild the m68k port with 32-bit alignment which would solve quite a number
>of problems since many projects like LLVM and Qt assume a minimum alignment
>of 32 bits while m68k still defaults to 16 bits.
>
>Since the time64 rebootstrap would break the ABI anyway, we could use to fix
>alignment issue on m68k once and for all :-).

So the reason that we're talking about doing a replacement armhf port
is for two reasons:

 * it's probably one of the few 32-bit arches that is likely to still
   be in routine use beyond 2038 (*many* embedded users depending on
   Debian stuff)

 * it's feasible to rebootstrap and break ABI as there isn't a large
   corpus of older-ABI binaries that people will care about supporting
   in the future. (This rules out i386 - the main reason to keep it
   around is just for the older binaries AFAICS.)

I don't want to be rude, but I really don't see how m68k fits here. Of
course, feel free to do a rebootstrap if you like, but I genuinely
don't see any great need for it.

“Changing random stuff until your program works is bad coding
 practice, but if you do it fast enough it’s Machine Learning.”
   -- https://twitter.com/manisha72617183