Re: "BUG: soft lockup" on A1200; was: Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-20

Hi Geert,

On 19/06/19 7:16 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

Not sure whether the 'probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS' message
is normal for the A1200. Geert might remember that sort of detail.
That comes from drivers/ide/ide-probe.c:ide_dev_read_id().
Looking at the code, it may be caused by the drive, too.

I don't see IDE_HFLAG_BROKEN_ALTSTATUS set anywhere in the kernel code
except drivers/ide/amd74xx.c. gayle.c sets:

          .host_flags             = IDE_HFLAG_MMIO | IDE_HFLAG_SERIALIZE |
                                    IDE_HFLAG_NO_DMA,

So how would that flag bit get set for the gayle driver?
Finally someone bitten by not using the ! operator ;-)

Nah, I just overlooked the == 0 at the end. Same effect though.

Now where did I last see that brown paper bag ...

Cheers,

    Michael

The test condition is

     (hwif->host_flags & IDE_HFLAG_BROKEN_ALTSTATUS) == 0

i.e. if the flag is _not_ set.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                         Geert