Re: "BUG: soft lockup" on A1200; was: Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-04-20

Hi Szymon,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:46 PM Szymon Bieganski <S.Bieganski@chello.nl> wrote:
> First of all thank you all for your efforts to revive the Debian ports
> for m68k. I myself as a Debian fan, would love to make use of my
> retro-rig with my favorite linux distro beside AmigaOS and NetBSD.
> Unfortunately I am facing strange problem that might be related to some
> specific hardware configuration, and therefore would like to consult
> with the experienced users if my problems might be caused by either
> software or hardware. Relevant hardware configuration comprises of a
> stock 1D4 Amiga 1200 with Apollo 040 CPU card, recent Elbox FastATA IDE
> controller with 40G IDE HDD and PCMCIA network card. All components
> causes no problems with other OS'es and with neither KS 3.0, 3.1 nor
> 3.1.4 (might be important during boot-off of partition beyond 4G boundary).
>
> Despite my multiple attempts to boot off the installation provided in
> these ISO images, I was not able to we pass the kernel initialization. I
> did succeed to boot and start the installation process using the old
> images with kernel 2.4.27 (Debian 3.1) but since the PCMCIA network
> causes null-pointer failure 1) and renders kernel 2.4 unusable on my
> setup, even tough it manages to recognize 40G HDD connected to either
> motherboard IDE or FastATA (primary IDE channel). With later kernel
> revisions boot attempts finishes right at the moment when the partition
> tables should be enlisted, and root partition should be mounted. But
> nothing as such happens, instead a cryptic message is shown, and system
> seems to hang, but power LED keeps blinking (heartbeat???). Full dmesg
> can be found on PPA forum 2)

> >> [2] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/debian-installer/

| [   32.470000] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! [systemd-udevd:49]

Please note that soft lockups are (usually) not fatal.  The system will
continue, but it may take a while (doh, systemd; but that should work if
you have 64 MiB of RAM).

BTW, do these kernels have CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER and/or
CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH set?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds