Re: Trying the netinstall again on Atari Falcon

Hello Stefan,

Am 11.02.2018 um 01:07 schrieb Stefan Niestegge:
> Hello Michael,
>

> Am 10.02.2018 um 03:01 schrieb Michael Schmitz:
>> Hello Stefan,
>>
>> what's wrong with the old falcon IDE driver? pata_falcon should not be
>> necessary, and may even be detrimental to performance (it doesn't use
>> interrupts, rather it polls for completion of ATA commands).
>
> Probably nothing wrong with it, but with the kernel from the netinstall
> iso no IDE was detected at all. A module was needed to be loaded and
> pata_falcon was tried at first, and was successful. After the installer
> installed to /dev/sda3 it made no sense to modprobe falconide that would
> create /dev/hda nodes.

You could have tried the falconide module instead which ought to be
present as well.

Testing the libata Falcon IDE driver is certainly worth doing, but I
question the wisdom of doing that in the installer context.

>> The console keyboard map is for american layout: @ is on shift-2, ~ is
>> on shift-~, | is on shift-#, [ is on ü, ] is on + (curly brackets on
>> shift with same keys) with my german layout keyboard. No idea why I used
>> the american layout, I'm sure I had taken down the german raw keycodes
>> at some stage when rewriting the keyboard driver.
>
> i choosed german keyboard at D-I setup and shift-2 is ", shift-~ is °
> shift-# is ' ...

Might be a standard PC keymap. m68k keyboard drivers used to send raw
keycodes. Now that keyboard input passes through the input driver. they
have to send standard keycodes, i.e. remapping to these standard codes
(which happen to be PC keyboard codes) happens in the keyboard driver.
The layout you describe would certainly fit that.

>> If these keys don't work for you, try without loading a key map.
>
> will try to figure that out.

No call for that unless you can't get the missing keys to work on that
map. But a specific Falcon keymap would be easier to derive that way.

>> xserver needs support for the Atari pixel format (interleaved planes).
>> Shouldn't be too hard to do, but Xorg code probably isn't for the faint
>> of heart (I've certainly had enough to last me a lifetime).
>
> so, remove Xorg and install old XFree86?
>
> hmm. my supervidel supports 8-bit chunky as well as 16 bit (compatible
> to the Falcon 320x200 "truecolor". we could also give Xorg what it
> needs to be happy.

Yes, that would work as well but limits resolution. As far as I
understand Geert, Xfbdev would have support for the planar pixel formats
so use that instead of Xorg.

Cheers,

	Michael