Re: Trying the netinstall again on Atari Falcon

On 02/10/2018 01:07 PM, Stefan Niestegge wrote:
> Probably nothing wrong with it, but with the kernel from the netinstall
> iso no IDE was detected at all. A module was needed to be loaded and
> pata_falcon was tried at first, and was successful. After the installer
> installed to /dev/sda3 it made no sense to modprobe falconide that would
> create /dev/hda nodes.

Geert said that the m68k pata_* drivers will need some extra small changes
to support automatic module loading. I did actually add such changes to
the VIO drivers on SPARC myself because those drivers also didn't load
automatically. If the changes necessary are the same, then it's a trivial
problem to fix in the kernel.

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=36128d204b81c099b5779771127a5546eac549c9
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5bde2c9be701c4583f0a9243bd46590ec401bfba

>> The EtherNAT will remember the MAC address across reboots, but some hack
>> to set a fixed address after module load might be in order. My EtherNAT
>> is toast so I can't test that myself.
>
> Perhaps i can take a look at your EtherNAT if you attend to m68k meetup.
> i revived a broken EtherNAT by simply reprogramming the FPGA.

Michael is located at the other end of the globe. Not sure whether he will
be able to make it :-). Would be very cool though.

>> The console keyboard map is for american layout: @ is on shift-2, ~ is
>> on shift-~, | is on shift-#, [ is on ü, ] is on + (curly brackets on
>> shift with same keys) with my german layout keyboard. No idea why I used
>> the american layout, I'm sure I had taken down the german raw keycodes
>> at some stage when rewriting the keyboard driver.
>
> i choosed german keyboard at D-I setup and shift-2 is ", shift-~ is °
> shift-# is ' ...

Can you try switching to a US keyboard layout?

Run "dpkg-reconfigure console-setup" as root to do that.

>> xserver needs support for the Atari pixel format (interleaved planes).
>> Shouldn't be too hard to do, but Xorg code probably isn't for the faint
>> of heart (I've certainly had enough to last me a lifetime).
>
> so, remove Xorg and install old XFree86?

XFree86 is long dead and probably won't even work with modern kernels,
so I don't think this is any sensible option. You will also most likely
not be able to run any modern X applications with XFree86.

> hmm. my supervidel supports 8-bit chunky as well as 16 bit (compatible
> to the Falcon 320x200 "truecolor". we could also give Xorg what it
> needs to be happy.

Did you configure the driver to be used as "fbedv" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz