Re: Trying the netinstall again on Atari Falcon

On 02/10/2018 03:01 AM, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> what's wrong with the old falcon IDE driver? pata_falcon should not be
> necessary, and may even be detrimental to performance (it doesn't use
> interrupts, rather it polls for completion of ATA commands).

Well, the pata drivers are the modern drivers these days. I included
the pata variant of the Falcon IDE driver to make sure it gets some
testing. I wasn't aware of that fact that it has performance issues.

Stefan's Atari also is really snappy when running Debian/m68k, so if
the pata_falcon driver has any performance impact, I didn't notice it.

As you also know, there is a pata_gayle driver in the queue which I have
already tested successfully on my Amiga 4000. Hope we can get that merged
soon as well.

> The console keyboard map is for american layout: @ is on shift-2, ~ is
> on shift-~, | is on shift-#, [ is on ü, ] is on + (curly brackets on
> shift with same keys) with my german layout keyboard. No idea why I used
> the american layout, I'm sure I had taken down the german raw keycodes
> at some stage when rewriting the keyboard driver.

When did that rewrite happen? When we were testing 3.19 back in 2015,
the keyboard seemed to work well on the Falcon. There was only one key
mapping missing which we actually fixed during the meeting :-).

> If these keys don't work for you, try without loading a key map.
>
> xserver needs support for the Atari pixel format (interleaved planes).
> Shouldn't be too hard to do, but Xorg code probably isn't for the faint
> of heart (I've certainly had enough to last me a lifetime).
Does the X server actually need any work when just using the fbdev driver?

Stefan was running X.org on his Falcon using the fbedv driver and it seemed
to work fine.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz