Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> >> This is basically what I was talking about. The code hasn't been
> >> touched for ages and is it bitrotten and apparently no one is willing
> >> to step up and maintain the code.
> >>

> > It's a good story, but the fact is I stepped up and sent a patch in
> > April and you subsequently stepped up and offered to "adopt" the
> > package after Michael admitted that it had been neglected.
>
> Where is that particular patch? I don't see it attached to any of the
> bug reports of the mac-fdisk package [1]?

You were Cc'd on that patch on Tue, 11 Apr 2017. It's trivial but it was
mentioned in the Debian changelog for the package.

> I also don't think a single patch is enough. The package is in an
> extremely bad shape as it hasn't been effectively touched since 2003
> (the standards version is at 3.5.8!) and it has been even packaged
> incorrectly like a native package without using patches even though it's
> a package from an upstream source.

Of course, I did not claim that the patch was enough. Instead I asked you
what additional work was needed.

> I started fixing some of the issues yesterday and I already created 16
> small patches out of it [2].

Don't put yourself down as maintainer if you don't want the job.
https://github.com/glaubitz/mac-fdisk-debian/commit/34d896fac2abf8d11d65a728ad4693e1509f8e7e
https://github.com/glaubitz/mac-fdisk-debian/commit/3da39432b51b75eb180d61e19f90e3bb26a0de1b

> >> So, either someone goes ahead and picks up upstream maintainership or
> >> we have to remove the package.
> >>
> > It appears that you are no longer willing to look after mac-fdisk.
> > That's fine. I don't expect you to take responsibility for every
> > neglected package.
>
> I will upload the fixed version later, but the package still needs a lot
> of work. As I said, the packaging format is wrong and all local changes
> need to be extracted as separate patches. Plus, the upstream code needs
> lots of fixing as the compiler generates many warnings during the build,
> so many that it isn't really acceptable for something that is supposed
> to be a low-level disk tool.

It would be great if you could create bug tracker entries for these 3
issues. That way, everyone is on the same page, and interested parties can
collaborate.