Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 09/22/2017 01:55 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > It fails with:
> >
> > fdisklabel.c: At top level:
> > fdisklabel.c:387:5: error: expected identifier or '(' before 'else'
> >       else if (c == 'n')
> >       ^~~~
> > fdisklabel.c:389:1: error: expected identifier or '(' before '}' token
> >   }
> >   ^
> So, the thing is, mac-fdisk requires quite some work to get it compile
> on amd64.

And that could be a problem when powerpc ceases to be a release arch.

> It's full of statements like "if defined(i386)" and building the package
> generates tons of warnings.

Apple ported pdisk to powerpc as well as intel. I don't know whether those
were 64 or 32 bit binaries or both (fat). But it could save us a lot of
effort.

> This is basically what I was talking about. The code hasn't been touched
> for ages and is it bitrotten and apparently no one is willing to step up
> and maintain the code.

It's a good story, but the fact is I stepped up and sent a patch in April
and you subsequently stepped up and offered to "adopt" the package after
Michael admitted that it had been neglected.

> So, either someone goes ahead and picks up upstream maintainership or we
> have to remove the package.

It appears that you are no longer willing to look after mac-fdisk. That's
fine. I don't expect you to take responsibility for every neglected
package.

Michael, perhaps you and I can share that responsibility? According to
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mac-fdisk
you are still the maintainer.