Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

On 09/23/2017 02:57 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
>> So, the thing is, mac-fdisk requires quite some work to get it compile
>> on amd64.
>
> And that could be a problem when powerpc ceases to be a release arch.

There is still i386 ...

>> This is basically what I was talking about. The code hasn't been touched
>> for ages and is it bitrotten and apparently no one is willing to step up
>> and maintain the code.
>>

> It's a good story, but the fact is I stepped up and sent a patch in April
> and you subsequently stepped up and offered to "adopt" the package after
> Michael admitted that it had been neglected.

Where is that particular patch? I don't see it attached to any of the
bug reports of the mac-fdisk package [1]?

I also don't think a single patch is enough. The package is in an extremely
bad shape as it hasn't been effectively touched since 2003 (the standards
version is at 3.5.8!) and it has been even packaged incorrectly like a
native package without using patches even though it's a package from an
upstream source.

I started fixing some of the issues yesterday and I already created 16
small patches out of it [2].

>> So, either someone goes ahead and picks up upstream maintainership or we
>> have to remove the package.
>>
> It appears that you are no longer willing to look after mac-fdisk. That's
> fine. I don't expect you to take responsibility for every neglected
> package.

I will upload the fixed version later, but the package still needs a lot
of work. As I said, the packaging format is wrong and all local changes
need to be extracted as separate patches. Plus, the upstream code needs
lots of fixing as the compiler generates many warnings during the build,
so many that it isn't really acceptable for something that is supposed
to be a low-level disk tool.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz