Re: Installing with new Installer-Image

On 09/22/2017 11:23 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
> I know who they are. Why else would I state that drivers/ide/ has official
> maintainers?

Because the drivers are broken and no one noticed it.

>>> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/debian-installer-images_20170828_m68k.tar.gz
>>
>> Use the common kernel and the initrd for the CD-ROM installation.
>>

> Not useful for bisection.

Right. But you can clone Debian's kernel config and test build your
kernel like I did to verify CONFIG_PATA_FALCON works well with
debian-installer.

> Needless to say. And I know about the efforts of b.zolnierkie@samsung.com
> towards that end. https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ide/msg53897.html
>
> Perhaps it would help if I said that I don't have any objection to libata.
> What interests me here is avoiding regressions in a useful body of code
> like the IDE core.

Oh, sure. I don't want to break existing code that people use. However, my
fear is that at some point Linus or any of the other people who have something
to say about the subsystems decide to kick out the old IDE layer. I'm just
worried we end up with no IDE drivers at all if we wait too long.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz