Re: Installing with new Installer-Image

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017, Stefan Niestegge wrote:

> Am 06.09.2017 um 23:32 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
>
> - Kernel detects the drive (sda, AHDI partition table) and even its
>   existing partitions (sda1 and sda2)
>
> My ZIP disc was partitioned with HDDriver BGM (TOS compatible) and LNX
> (formated with ext2 from FreeMiNT)
>
> not able to mount those partitions:
>
> i get "no such file or directory" or "no such device" error messages on
> mount command. Internet search found that most probably the target
> filesystem isn't supported.

Yes. If the device node doesn't exist, the busybox 'mount' on the initrd
will say,

# busybox mount -t ext2 /dev/foo /mnt/tmp/
mount: mounting /dev/foo on /mnt/tmp/ failed: No such file or directory
#

And if the filesystem type is not recognized,

# grep foo /proc/filesystems
# busybox mount -t foo /dev/loop0 /mnt/tmp/
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/tmp/ failed: No such device
#

This is not the same behaviour as the util-linux 'mount', BTW.

Anyway, you need to get past the "Load installer components from CD" step
if you want to load the Ext filesystem modules and mount an Ext
filesystem.

Which means you need a working CD-ROM. From looking at the Linux docs, my
guess would be something like this:

# modprobe falconide
# mknod /dev/hda b 3 0
# mknod /dev/hdb b 3 64
# mknod /dev/hdc b 22 0
# mknod /dev/hdd b 22 64

and probably,

# ln -s hdX /dev/cdrom
... for some X representing your CD-ROM, derived from kernel log messages.

Then run the "Detect and mount CD" and "Load installer components from CD"
steps. Hopefully, you'll then find that "mount /dev/sd..." works.
(Untested.)