Re: M68K status

Ingo Jürgensmann dixit:

>> Sarge, but amiboot 5.6 and 6.0 both have problems. If I try to start

Weren’t most amiboot problems related to…

>Do you have your kernel unzipped?

… this?

>Do you have "devtmpfs.mount=1“ to your options of the kernel command line?

That’s only for the sid kernels, not for sarge and etch which
are positively prehistoric now.

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:

>My usual way of installing a new Amiga with Debian would be:
[…]
>3) Mount the newly created root filesystem on your PC to some
>   mount point, e.g.: /mnt.

You can also, at this point, speed things up and make them
simpler by getting a pre-made filesystem image (ext2 though)
or tarball; I’ll show the latter. This has the benefit of not
assuming a Debian system as PC host; it could even work with
BSD (though most BSD only know ext2fs not ext4fs which you
really want to use on Linux these days) and possibly (didn’t
test, I don’t have it) MacOS X.

4a) Download it to where there is enough space (on the PC):

    $ wget http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/2015-Jan/Ara2015A.tar.gz

4b) Verify the hash:

    $ sha256sum Ara2015A.tar.gz

    This should output:

    caa27e8dd05950d92e34c0d5e6a2b753f96fd8a62bb257b13f3f9af85d1789c2  Ara2015A.tar.gz

    There’s also http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/2015-Jan/README.txt
    which I PGP-signed and contains the same hash.

4c) Extract the tarball while preserving permissions:

    $ cd /mnt
    $ sudo tar xzpf /path/to/Ara2015A.tar.gz

4d) Copy the kernel and initrd out:

    $ cp /mnt/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k /tmp/
    $ gzip -d </mnt/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-m68k >/tmp/vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k

4e) Adjust some configuration files:

    $ sudoedit /mnt/etc/network/interfaces
	(default network config: eth0 is 192.168.10.6, no DHCP)
    $ sudoedit /mnt/etc/hostname /mnt/etc/hosts
	(set the hostname you wish the machine to have)

    If you want to use DHCP, remove the line
	iface eth0 inet static
    and everything after it, and add a line
	iface eth0 inet dhcp
    in its place. It’s installed in this image.
    Otherwise /mnt/etc/resolv.conf may need to be edited, it uses
    some well-known public “spy agency” DNS resolver by default.

4f) Create some entropy on the target filesystem:

    $ sudo dd if=/dev/urandom bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed
    $ sudo chown 0:0 /mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed
    $ sudo chmod 640 /mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed

>5) Umount the root filesystem from /mnt and mount the primary
>   AmigaOS partition to /mnt instead.
    Copy amiboot-5.6 into a new directory on the AmigaOS system.

6)  Place the kernel (decompressed) and initrd into that new
    directory as well:

    $ sudo cp /tmp/vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k /mnt/path/to/new/dir/
    $ sudo cp /tmp/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k /mnt/path/to/new/dir/

>7) Create an Amiga shell script with the proper command line
>   for amiboot:
>
>   "amiboot-5.6 -d -k vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k -r initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k
    root=/dev/sda2 fb=false console=ttyS0,9600n8 devtmpfs.mount=1"

Of course, adjust the root/fb/console parameters, I just took them
from Adrian’s example. Do *not* set init=/bin/bash (as this system
is already completely configured), but *do* set devtmpfs.mount=1.

>8) Umount the AmigaOS partition, take the disk out of your PC
>   and back into the Amiga. Boot into AmigaOS and make sure
>   the shell script from step 7) is marked as executable. You
>   will probably need to configure Workbench to show all files
>   in a folder, not just icons.
>
>9) Double-click the script you created in 7) and wait for Linux
>   to boot.

10) Log in as root with the password "root" (not including the quotes).

    Start GNU screen, so you can continue to work in another
    terminal (press ^Ac to create one, then ^A<space> to cycle
    through them) when one is running a time-consuming job:

    # screen

    Set a new password:

    # passwd root

11) Install a few more packages. Now is a good time to add an
    SSH server, and possibly your favourite editor (the image
    has ed, jupp, and mcedit by default; you may wish to add
    nano or vim-tiny if you like them, or joe-jupp for jmacs,
    which has Emacs-like UI, or mg, another small Emacs-ish
    editor). These commands are dependent on each other, but
    while they’re running, you can use a second GNU screen tab
    to further explore the system, e.g. with "mc".

    Update the package lists (this will take several minutes!):
    # dselect update			# or: apt-get update

    Now run this command, it needs to be run only once after
    the base tarball is extracted, to finish setting up the
    packages I specifically marked as needing that; by this
    point, the system should have some entropy (both from the
    urandom/random-seed file you created earlier, and from
    your activity (keyboard input, network I/O) you already
    did and, more importantly, the hostname should be right
    by now! It takes a short time only.
    # dpkg -a --configure

    Now you can install extra packages:
    # apt-get install openssh-server	# and maybe others

    If you did choose another editor, edit /root/.profile and
    add a line (near the bottom) that says, for example for mg:

    # echo export EDITOR=mg VISUAL=mg >>/root/.profile

    If you wish to make this the system-wide default, use:

    # echo export EDITOR=mg VISUAL=mg >/etc/profile.d/editor.sh

    Now is a good time to start the, rather lengthy unfortunately,
    process to get the system up-to-date. Make sure you have all
    packages you’ll need for the next few hours installed, so you
    can continue to work in another screen tab (e.g. run adduser),
    then run…
    # apt-get --purge upgrade --with-new-pkgs
    … which is safe to do at this point as you "dselect update"d earlier.
    Review the list of actions (this one should be safe, but one
    never knows) that is shown after a minute or two, then hit
    "y" and Enter. If it does not work, drop the “--with-new-pkgs”.

    After that, or – if you’re feeling adventurous and know Debian
    “unstable” system administration fairly well – instead of it,
    you can run…
    # apt-get --purge dist-upgrade
    … instead, but this may not work, or want to remove important
    (to you) packages.

    Every time a new kernel version is installed (i.e. one of the
    linux-image-* packages is updated) or a new initrd is generated
    (you’ll see that in the output), you must copy them out to the
    AmigaOS partition and possibly adjust the start script (it’s
    also a good idea to keep a backup or two around). You may wish
    to add the AmigaOS partition to /etc/fstab to make this easier.

HTH & HAND,
//mirabilos (Debian/m68k resurrector, mostly retired by now though)
- --
[...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick, or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh but
what about xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in the be-
ginning, there was ffs, and in the middle, there was ffs, and at the end, there
was still ffs, and the sys admins knew it was good. :)  -- Ted Unangst über *fs