Re: meeting planning

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 04:36:20PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> tl;dr: infos re. Friday and network below. Should I bring BNC equipment?
>

> Christian T. Steigies dixit:
>
> >Clue me in on the details: where exactly is the meeting and what is the
> >agenda?
>
> OK. Old news: https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2014/11/msg00008.html
> This includes a GPX file so your navigation/geocaching device can show
> you the way ;) More traditionally:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.events-eu/6171
>
> Hm. The GPX file appears trashed, I???ll attach it again.

And address would be sufficient for my GPS, but I guess I can find that.

>   ??? the router/terminal server should (we???re working on it today)
>     have a floppy drive; I am not allowed to hand out access to it
>     though, so fdformat/dd will need to go through me, Nik or gecko2

I can bring a USB floppy drive.

> ??? Cabling is Ethernet (100baseTX). I???ve got two hubs at home that
>   can connect between 10baseT and 10base2 (BNC, Cheapernet) and
>   also have an AUI (which I never used). I may be able to find some
>   T pieces and terminators (only one is needed, the hubs can also
>   terminate one end), if this is necessary. They are heavy and large,
>   so please indicate this beforehand.

The Amiga and the Falcon both have regular Ethernet, no BNC needed.

> ??? My plans for Friday are: set up the network and seating area, get
>   those who are there already settled (including a cup of my wonderful
>   ???Mirffee??? (coffee, mostly milk/cocoa though)), and head out for food
>   later if desired.

If I arrive already on friday, it will probably be late, don't expect me
before 9pm.

> ??? My plans to do until Friday are additionally: update the ARAnyM base
>   image (without systemd, har har!) and the four VMs I???ve got on my
>   workstation, so we can do things much more quickly on the weekend,
>   should the need arise
>
> >If there are Atari experts around, I would also bring my Falcon/CT60. It
> >currently boots from a CF card (testing Michaels kernels), but I would like
> >to get it running from its harddisk again (repartitioning destroyed the
> >working installation).
>
> Beetle should be an Atari expert. I think ragnar76 and Atari-Frosch
> can???t come, but maybe if someone offered bringing them (e.g. everyone
> coming from the North should drive by their place already anyway),
> they might.

I will take probably A1 all the way from Hamburg and there will be an empty
seat.

> I can probably help to get the HDD partitioned and made bootable;
> I???ve done similar things for ARAnyM already, and NetBSD on Frosch???s
> TT on ORR some years ago.

Can you do this on real hardware as well?

> >I do not want to bring a monitor, I hope there will be some simple VGA monitor
> >available? I may bring a CD-R and MOD, but I do not want to pack the whole
> >museum... anything else that I should bring along?
>
> Hm. CD equipment is rare, I???m personally using floppies more often,
> and otherwise just USB sticks or the network. So don???t expect us to
> have anything related.

I'll just pack what I find useful and is not too heavy. If we can get
everything done with floppies, that would be fine with me.  I found it hard
to transfer kernel images on floppies.  USB sticks do not really work on my
m68k hardware.

> Working floppy discs may be usable; no idea if we really need them.
> I can bring a few, with unknown ???working??? state.
>
> We???ve got lots of TFTs, but no ???simple VGA monitor???s. They all have
> VGA and usually DVI, rarely HDMI, ports. I???ve got no idea if they

VGA input will be sufficient. kullervo and the falcon both work on my old
Samsung TFT as well as on my somewhat newer Samsung monitor/TV.

Christian