Re: Modern Kernels that can boot from IDE drive LC 630

Just wanted to let you guys know that thanks to your help, I compiled a 3.15 kernel with the necessary drivers, and finally booted this thing to the hdd. I forgot to sed strip the root password, so I have to do that before I can log in, but it mounted everything correctly.

Best,

Jesse Osiecki
919-792-8579
jessejosiecki.com

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:03 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> When you've got that down, you could install the m68k cross-compilers and
> build a mac kernel -- this process is a lot like the process of building a
> native kernel; but it helps to learn both.

Indeed.

>> If all goes well I'd also like to put a guide out with the attached
>> working files that I used for others (specifically 630 users) who need
>> to do this as well, as
>
> When I get some time, I'll update the cross-compiling guide on
> mac.linux-m68k.org. It would be great if you could try them (when ready).

Quick start:

Download cross-compiler from https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/
Unpack it, point $PATH to it
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/linux-m68k.git
cd linux-m68k
git checkout m68k-v3.15 (if you don't want to run the latest rc)
make ARCH=m68k mac_defconfig  (replace "mac" if not building for Mac)
make ARCH=m68k -j 4

All of the m68k *_defconfig files should give you a vmlinux with all critical
drivers built-in.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds