Re: Modern Kernels that can boot from IDE drive LC 630

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Jesse Osiecki dixit:
>
> >panic claiming that the kernel is too old), and the 3.14 kernel in the
> >debian-ports repo outright crashes with a load of garbage (I can post
> >it,
>
> You need a Debian-generated initrd for this. The initrd is generated
> from the installed system, unfortunately. (But sometimes, at least when
> using MODULES=most, sharing would work.)

Right. From the photo Jesse sent, I can see that the kernel wasn't able to
mount a root filesystem. The "List of all partitions" is empty, so
presumably the IDE driver is in a module. I'll build a non-modular kernel.
That should resolve the problem.