Re: Modern Kernels that can boot from IDE drive LC 630

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Jesse Osiecki wrote:

> Finn, if you don't mind, could we work together on making a non-modular
> kernel for 68k mac? I was planning on compiling a kernel myself for the
> experience, but that experience has been limited so far; I'd like to
> help-learn.

For learning purposes, it might be helpful to start by building a native
kernel on a fast machine (e.g. amd64) using your distro's package manager.
After succeeding at that, you'll have the tools installed, and you'll get
to see what gets installed where.

At that point, you could manually build another native kernel using
current kernel.org sources. Then you get to learn the manual process, and
enjoy the excitement of booting it -- to fix an unbootable machine by
reverting to a known good kernel is an education ;-)

When you've got that down, you could install the m68k cross-compilers and
build a mac kernel -- this process is a lot like the process of building a
native kernel; but it helps to learn both.

> If all goes well I'd also like to put a guide out with the attached
> working files that I used for others (specifically 630 users) who need
> to do this as well, as

When I get some time, I'll update the cross-compiling guide on
mac.linux-m68k.org. It would be great if you could try them (when ready).

But I really need to fix the download situation. Once we have current,
tested and working binaries I think I'll move the obsolete sourceforge
downloads to the FTP sites.

> I have spent way too long reading through ten year old how-to's and
> wouldn't wish that upon the next guy.

If you come across obsolete, misleading information on the linux-m68k.org
or debian.org domains, send the URLs to this mailing list and we'll try to
improve things. There are still issues with mac.linux-m68k.org but I'm
gradually updating it.