Re: Amiga looking for an OS

Am 25.04.2014 um 00:49 schrieb Bob <madshib@yahoo.com>:

> I'm almost afraid to ask...but is there a "roadmap" to bring debian back to m68k (updates and everything) or is it more for knowledgable debian/linux users?

I don't think that we will ever make it back into official Debian releases. Maybe we can manage somehow a release on our own that is based on the official Debian release sources. But that's rather unlikely to happen as well. We would need to build up our own infrastructure for that, which is as well ressource intensive as it is man-power intensive.

> If it is logistics and cpu power in regards to compiling in 68k code holding it up, do you need more machines building packages or tools?

CPU power is just the smaller part of the problem. We need half a dozen of Thorstens to do the porting work: follow build logs, creating bug reports, submitting patches, tracking bugs, etc.

Donating machines is just half the truth. Each buildd needs to be administered and I can tell you: with my 5 buildds I'm quite busy from time to time, especially when they need special hands-on care. This gets worse when the machines are in a remote location. Each buildd needs electrical power, network connection, replacement parts like disks and... and... and...

So, sadly it's not done with donating a machine. ;)

But it's nice to know that there are actually users out there that appreciate our work. It's a good motivation when you know that your buildds are not building all those packages for themselves, but that there do exists real people with real machines somewhere! :-)

(Of course we are open for anyone who offers help! :-))

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: ij@jabber.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc