Re: Amiga looking for an OS

Gayle Lee Fairless dixit:

> Gentlemen,
>
>    I was looking for the most current Debian build for an Amiga 2000HD
> with a G-Force 030 board.  Well, it also has a 386 bridgeboard, but I
> guess that doesn't matter?

I think so. An 030 may be a problem with current kernel versions,
but AFAIHH there is already a fix in Linux upstream.

>    Anyway, I found this directory
>
> http://people.debian.org/~wouter/d-i/images/daily/

We do not use d-i at the moment.

> https://wiki.debian.org/M68k/Status

Ahem, well. There are snapshots from some time ago, which
you can dist-upgrade. I guess I could make some new ones
like those, although I’d like to ensure up-to-date-ness of
some core packages like gcc first, and it will take me a bit.

> http://www.linux-m68k.org/dists.html

This is historic (maybe the entire site is). We use kernel 3.13
at the moment, just like the rest of Debian. It’s just that there
is no “testing” distribution, and no releases.

bye,
//mirabilos
-- <theftf> Ich gebs zu, jupp ist cool -- theftf zu Natureshadow beim
Fixen von Debian

On 4/24/2014 3:43 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 10:26 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> Gayle Lee Fairless dixit:
>>
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>>    I was looking for the most current Debian build for an Amiga 2000HD
>>> with a G-Force 030 board.  Well, it also has a 386 bridgeboard, but I
>>> guess that doesn't matter?
>> I think so. An 030 may be a problem with current kernel versions,
>> but AFAIHH there is already a fix in Linux upstream.
> To be more exact, the kernel currently panics when trying to boot on a
> 68020 or 68030 CPU. This has been fixed in 3.15, so if anyone wants to
> boot Linux on a 020 or 030, they'll have to wait for 3.15.
>
> As for the installation in general, see this thread I created on
> amiga.org:
>
>> http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65146
> Cheers,
>
> Adrian

IIRC,  it was possible for me to boot the machine into the 68000 by
disabling the 030 board.  That meant that I had to sacrifice the memory
and the use of the harddrive on that board and keep the harddrive on my
A2091??  as my boot drive.  Unfortunately that drive is now crashed, and
I also have to rebuild that boot drive.  Oh well, I LOVE ancient
history, but at least it's an Amiga!  I still have the ancient SCSI
connections, including a ZIP drive and also an Amiga 500.  I ordered
some Amiga harddrives from Australia once upon a time so I should be
able to come up with something by the time kernel 3.15 comes out.
Meanwhile I shall diligently study your thread, and should some updates
be posted, Please, Please, let me know!

        Sincerely,
        (Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
        fairless@ieee.org