Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

On 8/21/2013 6:34 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
<snip>
X11 worked on macs back when I was testing etch-m68k. The pixel formats
are not the weird ones found on ataris. The only Xorg driver available is
fbdev.

Not having any trouble with graphics. It's working about the same as it did before. I don't have much reason to change the video mode, so I'm fine with it being stuck with the video mode from the Mac side. Only bummer is the LC475 only has the VRAM for 1024x768 at 8bpp or 832x624 at 16bpp, so I can choose between a nice sized screen or nice colors but not both. So goes life.

The problem I'm having now is getting the mouse and keyboard to work. Leaving it entirely in hotplug mode I get lines such as:

[ 438.478] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ADB mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[   438.482] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[   438.484] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

and I see no mention of the keyboard at all. The keyboard does not work if I create an xterm big enough to encompass the screen

So I tried dropping in the xorg.conf from my old setup, with hotplug disabled, which failed due to the drivers "mouse" and "kbd" being changed. Ok, I remember this changing to evdev at some point. I don't see any other input modules anyway. I see the mouse is available at /dev/input/mouse0 and indeed the old cat /dev/input/mouse0 and check for junk when you move it trick works. This time when starting up I get this in the logfile:

 978.262] (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
[   978.264] (**) Generic Keyboard: always reports core events
[   978.267] (EE) evdev: Generic Keyboard: No device specified.
[   978.279] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "Generic Keyboard"
[   978.282] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[   978.285] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Configured Mouse'
[   978.301] (**) Option "CorePointer"
[   978.304] (**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
[   978.306] (**) evdev: Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mouse0"
[ 978.322] (EE) evdev: Configured Mouse: ioctl EVIOCGID failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[   978.324] (EE) PreInit returned 8 for "Configured Mouse"
[   978.326] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"

So it looks like I need to figure out a device for the keyboard, and perhaps the evdev driver isn't working for ADB mice. I've tried this both with the "busmouse" protocol the old old version uses, as well as "auto". I'm not sure what else it might use anyway. I've literally done nothing with events and such at this point so may be chasing my tail on this one. I don't seem to have the /dev/input/event* stuff that many other xorg config files seem to suggest for using udev properly.

At any rate, this might be a better discussion for the xorg support channels, but you guys are probably more aware of how this old hardware works than they are. Now that it's running feel free to tell me to shove off though :)

Scott