Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

On 8/18/2013 9:14 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
<snip>

Can you get something, maybe some console output, with
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinux-3.10-2-m68k.gz
(may need to decompress first), possibly with
http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/mirnitrd (do not decompress)
as initrd loaded (to get a bare shell)?

This got much farther. It gets into the kernel bootlog before giving me an error about not being able to execute init. I looked in the initrd and I'm not seeing anything in it that resembles a root filesystem, so I'm not sure what to pass it for an init string. My Linux-fu may have gotten weak over the years thanks to cushy installers and package installers, so I might be missing something here. Might be something easy.

I uploaded a video of the boot process at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN9lmOoW_zE . If you don't feel like trying to freezeframe it at the right spot, here's the interesting bits:

http://iamscott.net/3.1boot1.jpg

http://iamscott.net/3.1boot2.jpg <http://iamscott.net/3.1boot1.jpg>

I went ahead for broke and figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I went ahead and untarred the m68k-base.tgz on a spare partition and tried it. But, it appears the kernel is missing the Mac SCSI drivers (or they aren't working). It failed to detect any drives. I see the kernel config has the Mac SCSI drivers enabled, but maybe there's more to it. This machine has a NCR 53C96 SCSI chip, same as all the later Quadras, so I don't think it'd need anything special. I remember some earlier discussion about these newer kernels requiring an initrd to run properly, so might have something to do with it.

You might need to fiddle with boot parameters. I do not
know which ones might be applicable.

I've usually used root=/dev/ram to boot a ramdisk. Otherwise I've never needed anything particularly special. I also tried the settings mentioned on http://mich431.net/m68k-605.html with the same results. I see Michael himself posted a reply as well. I was hoping to get a newer kernel going but I may as well try his setup as well. It's at least orders of magnitude newer than what it has now.

I do not know whether an LC475 is even supported.

In general, the LC475 is considered unsupported only because it came with a 68LC040 with very broken FPU originally. Swapping it for a full 68040 with a full FPU (which I did) should make it run fine. I ran this very box as my primary mail/web/ftp/dns/etc server for several years in the late 90s and early 2000s using Woody and Sarge. It'd be a shame if newer kernels lost support for it somehow, but progress marches on :)

Scott