Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

Finn Thain dixit:

>On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Scott Holder wrote:
>
>> ... it looks like the kernel I'm using (Still
>> http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinux-3.10-2-m68k.gz ) doesn't do ext4,
>> so back to ext2 it is.
>
>Mostly likely you just need the modules; try booting into the initrd and

Right, the kernel has absolutely ZERO filesystem support and
the only block devices built in are those that don’t compile
or work (nfblock) as modules.

>doing "modprobe ext4". If that works, copy /lib/modules/3.10* to your root
>filesystem and/or install the appropriate linux package (I'm sure there's
>a post from Thorsten as to which package that is).

The metapackage is called linux-image-m68k and pulls the kernel
package from the correct version, currently: linux-image-3.10-2-m68k

>As per usual, you'll have to generate an initrd or else build a new kernel

The kernel package depends on initramfs-tools and uses dpkg’s
trigger mechanism to automatically build/update one whenever
any of the components included (kernel modules, klibc-utils,
etc.) changes.

>> I'm not likely to be doing anything mission critical that would make a
>> journaling filesystem nice anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine.
>
>I'd be willing to bet that any conventional filesystem with journaling
>disabled would be faster than any with journaling enabled.

Right. I’d personally prefer 4.2FFS with softupdates because
it gives you the data consistency guarantees of journalling
without the overhead in data written to disc. Not using
journalling means to operate either (BSD default) “sync”,
which is slow, or (Linux default) “async”, which is eatmydata.

>> giving X a try for fun. icewm was almost usable under the old setup,
>> and you could sort of browse with Firefox.

At least for Atari, we do not have any working X server.
IceWM works very well on a tightvncserver or vnc4server,
even kde-plasma-desktop is usable until you start KDEPIM
(which is even dead slow on x86, believe me, we’ve got to
use that at $dayjob), though that’s on an 150-MHz VM.

Anything GTK+/GNOME (e.g. xchat) is not usable due to
their use of TLS and/or atomics. I had thought KDE would
suffer from the same, but they seem to be faster…

Anyway, if you find a working local X11 setup, feel free
to share with the mailing list.

And whatever you do, dist-upgrade to latest unstable ;-)
We’ve had over 6000 packages built since December 2012.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."