Re: [buildd] Action plan to get buildds getting online again

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:29:52AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Although it would be nice to have a full archive, I fear that we
> > won't be capable to keep up when we try to build the whole archive
> > of nearly 10000 packages now.
>
> That was a stretch already last time while we were in the running, so I
> don't think it is worth to try.

The buildd suite has changed since then

Originally, wanna-build would mark all packages as "needs-build"
including those that couldn't even be built because its build-deps
weren't available. This was because wanna-build couldn't check indirect
build-dependencies at the time.

This now has been fixed, and recent wanna-build will not mark packages
as "needs-build" unless and until they can actually be built. On my
powerpc buildds, I've not seen a "but they will not be installed"
message from apt in ages.

Additionally, if we do autosigning, then the buildd hosts will be more
efficient, as they don't need to wait for one of us to come along and
sign a build mail -- they'll sign stuff by themselves. This is used for
almost all buildd hosts in Debian now, except the ones maintained by
Lamont Jones and myself (don't know why Lamont has refused it; I did
because in the current scheme of things, I can't update the buildd key
myself, and I don't think that's a good thing).

This means two things: first, buildds will be more efficient (since they
don't need to wait much anymore and they won't waste time trying to
build things that can't be built), and they're not as limited by
manpower anymore (since there isn't as much attention needed anymore).

[...]
> > But that's the long term goal. First we need the toolchain back in
> > shape. Thorsten made an excellent job in the past and give some
> > advices on building the tool chain, I'm sure. And I think he has
> > currently the best overview of what needs to get built next.
>
> I'd listen to Thorsten's advice as well.
>
> > >4) More things needed? What kind of SSH keys are nowadays en-vogue?
> > >RSA? DSA? How will the length impact SSH performance on m68k? What is
> > >our aim? Do we target on re-inclusion in Debian with full archive or
> > >do it in a different way like reduced set of packages (base,
> > >required,
> > >...) and everything else on a best-effort basis?
> >
> > Well, already wrote some stuff in 3) regarding what packages need to
> > be built.
> >
> > From the current point of view, I think it's too early to think of
> > re-inclusion in Debian. Maybe we can manage to follow unstable and
> > keep up with it and manage it somehow to get the stable version as
> > well built so that we can offer a stable distri to our users instead
>
> That's the best I'd hope for. And it will take quite a few people to step up
> and take care of a buildd system to pull off.

I've been promising to set up a buildd machine for over a year now, and
it still hasn't happened.

/me sighs.

I've got a fair deal of 68k hardware these days, and it shouldn't take
me *too* much to set up one or two machines. I'll *try* to make the
time, some time soon.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and