Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

Finn Thain dixit:

>Has anyone benchmarked those binaries (running on the hybrid platform)
>against native 68020 and Coldfire binaries (running on their respective
>native platforms)?

Since I’ve seen an strace and been explained what SYS_333 is
I believe benchmarks of modern-eglibc m68k are beyond salvagable
anyway.

Maybe a new ABI, with a register reserved for TLS, would actually
be faster, despite being more generic, since it saves kernel calls?

When doing a generic *nix distribution, and it’s not called Gentoo,
you *need* to produce generic executables. (Which is why ARM is
fundamentally doomed, as you have not only one kernel image per
board, but also arm, armeb, armel(debian), armel(ubuntu), armhf
by now. And with devices being outdated before they hit the market,
and the market being a cheap throw-away one, I see it getting only
worse.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<dileks> ch: good, you corrected yourself. ppl tend to tweet such news
immediately, sth. like "grml devs seem to be buyable"    <ch> dileks: we