Re: Has anyone successfully bootstrapped gcc-4.6.3 on m68k?

Vincent Rivi� dixit:

> 1) The FireBee features a ColdFire MCF5474 which embeds a ColdFire V4e core, an
> FPU, an MMU, and much more. No trouble with the hardware.

Aah, good.

> 2) The Linux kernel has already been ported to the FireBee. Both the MMUless
> ucLinux, *and* the full MMU Linux with virtual memory. See there:
> http://uclinux.org/ports/coldfire/binary.html
> I tested it myself, it works perfectly over the serial port and we can run the
> embedded programs from the ramdisk. However, currently there is no additional
> driver (including no mass storage), so it is not really useful. But very
> promising.

Will wait for it then ;)

> 3) The FreeMiNT kernel, running over TOS. It is the traditional multitasking
> kernel for Atari computers. It is good enough to run most GNU software. It
> features some kind of memory protection using the MMU on 680x0 (not yet on
> ColdFire). But no virtual memory, so no accurate fork(). Anyway, that's
> unrelated to Debian/68k.

Except I’m wondering if FreeMiNT (userspace) will get shared libraries
some day. It would help Debian GNU/MiNT ☺

> 4) Running GCC on ColdFire. I was told that some libraries required by GCC are
> not compatible with ColdFire (incompatible assembly files). So it looks like no
> one has run GCC on a pure ColdFire system yet.

That would need to be addressed during porting, sure.
We basically need a userspace CPU switch between:
- 68020+ or CF, no distinguishing needed (generic mode)
- 68020+ (generic)
- some as-of-yet unspecified CF baseline (generic)
High-performance applications could then also distinguish
between different 680x0 implementations, etc. but most of
the code would need to work on both unmodified, and some
(like those libraries using asm code) could be changed to
detect the CPU and use the appropriate routines instead.

> Anyway, I would love using Debian on my FireBee :-)

When you express it like this… 233 MHz is already faster
than what I can emulate, and I’ve heard of CF up to 400…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  “Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
          a peeing section in a swimming pool.”