Re: nbd vs. failing HDDs (was Re: Status)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Wouter, how does nbd perform? Do you think a root-on-nbd sy- stem could
> help with the issue of dead old hard discs on the older buildds?

I've successfully used NFS root and ATAoE root with Debian/68k. (The
kernel has to be patched to use ATAoE root without initrd. I have a patch
though I expect most people would use an initrd.)

Performance is good on a NIC that uses DMA (SONIC in this case).

Finn