Re: debian kernel m68k patches for 2.6.28

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 15:21, David D. Kilzer <ddkilzer@kilzer.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:18:17 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> >
>> > Geert doesn't do quilt any more. So we need a workflow that pulls
>> > the patches we want (for some definition) from Geert's repo and
>> > updates the debian kernel package.
>>
>> I plan to create a special `queue' branch for that. But probably that
>> won't happen
>> before 2.6.29.
>>
>> > We need to make sure we have all the aranym patches too, since I don't
>> > think they've gone upstream. I don't know if they're all in his git
>> > or not.
>>
>> The ARAnyM patches should are in my git tree.
>>
>> BTW, I noticed I spoke rubbish: my m68k-v2.6.28 branch does have all
>> the m68k patches.
>> It's just not so easy to extract them as patches, as this is a
>> `continuous development branch'.
>> Should be easier once I have a proper `queue' branch.
>

> The git-cherry command might help you out here if you have the original v2.6.28 branch in the same git tree.

Yes, it helps. But unfortunately git cherry is not a silver bullet:
there are several commits that went upstream, of which git cherry
thinks they didn't.

Some of these went it directly from me, but git cherry doesn't notice.
While others went it through other maintainers via email with added
SoB lines, but git cherry handles them fine.

That's why I want a queue branch.

> Also see git-format-patch for extracting a series of patches from a branch (formatted as email messages).

Yep.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds