Re: 68LC040 test program, was: list of elligible computers to debian-68k

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Finn Thain wrote:
>

>> I'll see if I can come up with a kernel having a suitable initramfs.
>
> OK, here it is. Boot this and hopefully it will tell you if you CPU is
> buggy.
>
> http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/vmlinux-040-test.gz

I'll try this on my powerbook540 (and maybe on my 520 too). As I said before
the 2.6.18 and 20 kernels would panic (I think on fsck) before
mounting root, and
I am pretty sure that the emile rescue disk did too (which neither mounts a file
system nor even creates the device nodes).

So, I am not optimistic, but I will try (just deleted my old sarge
partition on the
540 to make room for some macos music/art stuff).

Brian

p.s. sorry for my false claim that 605/475 would run linux; only if replace the
cpu before which I did but forgot I did. Its socketed unlike the books.

> No command line arguments are needed. No initrd is needed either since it
> uses an initramfs. The test program runs upon boot, and no interaction is
> necessary (or possible).
>
> It quickly detects an FPU emulation issue on my LC 475 (68LC040 mask set
> 2E23G). Whereas, even after 10 minutes or so, no problem was detected with
> my PowerBook 190cs (68LC040). I tested a Quadra (68040) and it passed this
> test too.

That's good news about the 190. Wonder if you can get enough RAM in it to
do much. (520/540 takes up to 36MB)