68LC040 test program, was: list of elligible computers to debian-68k

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Finn Thain wrote:

> I'll see if I can come up with a kernel having a suitable initramfs.

OK, here it is. Boot this and hopefully it will tell you if you CPU is
buggy.

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/vmlinux-040-test.gz

No command line arguments are needed. No initrd is needed either since it
uses an initramfs. The test program runs upon boot, and no interaction is
necessary (or possible).

It quickly detects an FPU emulation issue on my LC 475 (68LC040 mask set
2E23G). Whereas, even after 10 minutes or so, no problem was detected with
my PowerBook 190cs (68LC040). I tested a Quadra (68040) and it passed this
test too.

The source code is available*, in case anyone wants to look through it and
confirm that it really tests for the bug in question, and my results are
not due to some quirk of the LC 475 or whatever else.

This kernel only boots Macs because I don't know what other machines might
be affected. I don't think it has any buggy drivers.

HTH.

Finn

* http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/sw/040test/