Re: Reviewing data in the debian-cd packages

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 04:08:11PM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 05:41:57AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>
> >> I'll have to let Christian answer for the licensing of
> >> cts_amiga_info.tar.gz. The rest of the amiga icons are in the d-i
> >> repo. If these have clear licensing (I'm pretty sure they do) then
> >> we should probably move them there too.
> >> As I recall they were created either by or for Christian to use with
> >> debian-cd. I don't believe they have a source form.

Sorry, I have been (and will be again) away for some time. The current icons
were created by an Amiga user many years ago especially for us. He gave them
to us to use freely, though I'd have to dig through many years of email to
find out if he actually gave us a license also. I remember I sent him a CD
set with his icons on there as a thank you for the icons. He only created
the images, the rest of the info files contains the position in the drawer
and maybe a command to call, in our case I think it is just using iconx to
start the shell script. There is nothing secret, and if required I would
hereby place it under the GPL version 2, or any later version (if this
minute amount of bits actually can be placed under any license).
A little search reveals that I actually documented the name:
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato/debian-amiga.txt

"Many thanks to Massimo Tantignone for the help with the Amiga icons."

> > IIRC the initial .info files (icon data needed by AmigaOS in order to
> > start particular install shell scripts) were created by Frank Neumann.
> > The others are by Christian. All were intended for distribution with the
> > install CDs (but Christian should perhaps confirm that). My impression

Confirmed

> > was that these files are created by some sort of resource editor which is
> > part of AmigaOS, so there's no source (though the file format should not
> > be too difficult to reverse engineer).

It is just a simple (actually two) bitmaps. As the resolution is fairly
small, I assume they were hand made, it should be possible to create the
swirl with a gimp filter or something similar? But I also agree that we
might want to have some smaller icons. And please put them into the correct
directories so that they can actually be used.

Christian