Re: New amiga install - a few questions

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply.

Stephen R Marenka wrote:
On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 02:28:41PM +0300, Emmanouel Vasilakis wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking of making a Debian install on my A3000/060, and I'd like to ask some questions.

First, what about the partitions. Do they need to be in the first 4G of the disk? I would assume no, since the loader starts from AmigaOS. My plan is to provide a ~10G root partition and 1G swap at the end of my 120G disk (which I can partition fine from AmigaOS for all it's size).

I'll defer to an amiga expert. If there's a problem, let me know and
we'll document it at least. Note I believe that you do need to gunzip 2.6 kernels on amiga.

Yes, I noticed that.

Is there an updated doc somewhere regarding the installation process?

I'm not sure what you mean by updated. ;)

Everything of interest should be linked from [0]. You probably want to
read through that.

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/M68k

I generally recommend using the daily installer and installing
etch-m68k. Lenny isn't installable (yet). You never know how
installable sid is.

Basically, I had Debian Linux installed at some point on my A1200. It was a few years back though. Then I got NetBSD and actually setup a www server for out local Amiga community.

A few days ago I got in the mood of trying out Debian again but on my A3000 (060, Picasso IV, X-Surf, Algor) this time. However I noticed that there is no up-to-date information for an end user like me. I'd like to fill this gap. So I'm setting out to try and install it and document the procedure along the way. I'm also interested in Gentoo/m68k which seems to have made it's way through to some Amigas, although again with almost nothing in regards to information and documentation.

So, I set up http://www.linuxonamiga.org , mainly to have a scratch pad for my notes, and provide some docs for an end user who is interested to try it out and even some basic support if I manage to work it out (and of course some testing for your work if you wish :-) )

Thanks,
Emmanuel