Re: Lenny release plans

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:21:16PM -0300, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

Something entirely different: Debconf is being followed by quite a few
people through the video streams (see http://video.debconf.org:8000/ if
you care to peek), and I was thinking that it could be a good idea to
set up a stream such as that one in Kiel, too. If we can get a camera
with Firewire-connection and a desktop that's powerful enough and has
enough diskspace to store the recording (13G per hour), and the network
connection is good enough (don't expect that to be a problem at a
university) then that would give us two benefits:
- videos for posterity (we'll probably be able to convince holger that
  it's a good idea to host them on meetings-archive.debian.net)
- allowing those who can't make it to Kiel to join to some extent
  through IRC and the video stream.

What do other people think?

Regarding live stream, the miniDV camera might be a bit much ...

I have a miniDV camera with Firewire, but I haven't connected it to a
computer for a while (and I do not have any empty tapes at the moment).
We could use this, if somebody figures out how to set it up. I've had it for
a while, so that batteries do not last very long, it would have to be used
stationary, which should be a problem for the intended use?

For recording a presentation, stationary should be OK. And no battery pack I know of would allow you to cover a whole day (not to mention you'd need to get the data stream off the camera over wireless as well - over 3MB/sec).

We were also thinking about a videocon/telecon/sip/skype setup. I just found
out that we have an AXIS 207MW Network Camera, which delivers video and
audio via a website. That would take care of one direction of the videocon.

Nice - how many connections can it handle?

The other direction could work via IRC or skype maybe? As far as I know SIP
is blocked in our network.

Skype would work for me. I'll check whether skype works with a DV camera ... Linux based videocon would be nicer - what do you guys use?

We also have a dedicated videocon setup, which should use standard
protocolls. I'll have a look at that next week.

Might be the best option if it works out of the box with open clients. Troubleshooting this stuff just detracts from m68k hacking :-)

Give me a shout if you want to test anything long-distance :-)