Re: how to make vmlinux?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 09:18:03PM +0100, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for such elementary question: I have downloaded the 2.6.18-4-atari
> kernel source and tried to rebuild it natively on ARAnyM. For now I'd
> need just the vmlinux, nothing else (no modules, no documentation, no
> deb package). But I can't figure out how to get to the proper atari
> kernel source code that I could patch further. The "debian/rules binary"
> does ton of weird things that take ages. Can I skip say the
> documentation building? Or how to get straight to the source code where
> I could just "make oldconfig && make vmlinux", please? I have spent an
> entire day staring at the build process - I even almost finished
> building the amiga kernel (that I don't need :-) I have already edited
> the file that says which kernels to build but now I'd need to speed it
> up even more :-)
>
> Is there something like "debian/rules source" that would just generate
> the real atari kernel source tree?

No, maybe not, I usually cross-compile, so speed does not matter too much.

If you only want to build for atari, edit:
debian/config/m68k/define
and comment out all flavours except atari. Then start the build:
debuild -B -am68k
-B to only build the binaries, no source packages, -am68k if you want to
cross-compile, can be omitted on an m68k box.

The build will apply the debian and m68k specific patches and create a dir
debian/build/build_m68k_none_atari
together with the config for atari. Once you have that directory, you can
stop the build and build the old fashioned way with make vmlinux in that
directory.

There might be a shortcut to get to that point, but normally the debian
build deletes everything in debian/build and starts to apply the patches
from scratch, assembles the config file, and then starts to build binaries,
headers, docs, etc. So build_m68k_none_atari is the directory you want, and
perhaps you want to move it outside the debian source directory, since the
debian scripts erase it if you should, by mistake, start to build the debian
way again.

Christian