Re: New to list

New to this list but I have had a Macintosh SE/30 running Linux off and on for six years.

Whoa - that's what I call dedication - that's a 16 MHz 030, right (at
least it felt like that when I last used it). We used a SE/30 to showcase
Debian/68k on the first Linux Expo...
Full 16 mHz command line glory. Some commands run mighty slow, and I have not even bothered trying a GUI. By the way, Debian on the SE/30 was my first ever Linux installation and first ever Linux experience. I later found easier ways and now make my living using Linux. I'm not a developer though I can test with my old hardware. I have some extra partitions available. Let me upgrade to kernel 2.2.25 first though.
What I would like to know is if there is a " hwclock " solution yet.
The computer keeps great time as revealed by " date ", but I think " at
" and "cron " need the hardware clock to work.
at should not do direct hardware clock calls. If it really does, we'd need
a fake-hwclk kernel module to keep it happy (fixing the hwclock kernel
module for mac would be prefered, but that requires real hardware to
test).
The kernel uses hwclock on boot as Christian mentioned, but you can
disable that (might suffice to move /sbin/hwclock to a different place).
After that, it's no longer required, and ntp can be configured to never
touch the hardware clock at all
What I see as output from " date " is an accurate date, but from " hwclock " is a complaint that the date is not within range. "hwclock --systohc " does nothing. I thought I saw something in the 2.2.25 kernel that fixed the hardware clock issue. Let me do some catch up with kernels before tinkering or saying anything further. My 2.2.6 kernel is stable for me but way way out of date.

Richard