Re: New to list

Hi,

> New to this list but I have had a Macintosh SE/30 running Linux off and
> on for six years.

Whoa - that's what I call dedication - that's a 16 MHz 030, right (at
least it felt like that when I last used it). We used a SE/30 to showcase
Debian/68k on the first Linux Expo...

> It's worked fine all this time, but I just recently decided to upgrade
> the Debian.
> The hardware is a Macintosh SE Superdrive, SE/30 mainboard, 80 MB RAM, 1
> GB HD, and an ethernet card.
> The Mac system is OS 7.5.5 with bells and whistles and Mode32 and
> Penguin 17.
> The Debian system is kernel 2.2.6 and the originally installed Potato
> has just been upgraded to etch-m68k.
> The upgrade was semi-traumatic but with the exception of " at "
> everything seems to work.
> I know there are newer kernels out there, and that is my next step.
> What I would like to know is if there is a " hwclock " solution yet.
> The computer keeps great time as revealed by " date ", but I think " at
> " and "cron " need the hardware clock to work.

at should not do direct hardware clock calls. If it really does, we'd need
a fake-hwclk kernel module to keep it happy (fixing the hwclock kernel
module for mac would be prefered, but that requires real hardware to
test).
The kernel uses hwclock on boot as Christian mentioned, but you can
disable that (might suffice to move /sbin/hwclock to a different place).
After that, it's no longer required, and ntp can be configured to never
touch the hardware clock at all.