Re: [buildd] needs-build @ 914

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:55:02AM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > I think we can take care for about 4000 source packages, but ~7000 packages
> > is was too much, especially when some of the porters are always trying to
> > bring coldfire support in...
> Actually, we generally stay caught up until a major bug or toolset
> change causes us grief. Getting caught back up again takes us a very
> long time. It might be that we just need a very much smarter buildd
> queue with the things we don't care about sitting on the back burner
> until everything else is built.

True... and the incoming access problem didn't help either in bringing the
backlog down.
Having a smarter buildd queue is a long term goal and something that I
wouldn't burden on the shoulders of the m68k porters. I already made some
proposals to enhance the build process long ago. For example to not remove
all installed packages, just to install most of them right again, as it is
often the case for kde builds or such where many packages are
build-depending on the same packages.
Building the packages in the right build-dep order is another goal for an
improved buildd queue.

Adding packages to N-F-U is a quick and maybe short-term solution, though...

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc