Re: crest.d.o and m68k.d.o

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:23:15PM +0100, Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>
> > In Linux, the new disk works fine, in AmigaOS the HDToolbox can see it,
> > change partitions, boot priorities, etc, but the Amiga partitions do not
> > show up in AmigaOS, even after a reboot, so I can not format them, or is
> > there a tool to format amiga partitions from AmigaOS?
>
> Sure, there's the tool cleverly named "format" that does the job :)

Yes, no, sorry, I mis-spoke. I have partitioned the disk in Linux, now I
would like to format it in Linux also, but AFAIK there is no format tool in
Linux that can format Amiga partitions, correct?

> However - your disk is what.. 250GB?
> My guess is that your scsi.device and filesystem handler are not updated
> to handle more than 4GB disks and 2GB partitions.

I set up the first disk on my Amiga2000, and I think I could set up and make
AmigaOS bootable on it:

Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 31 sectors, 246167 cylinders, RDB: 0
Logical Cylinders from 2 to 246166, 1015808  bytes/Cylinder
(the second disk says here:
Logical Cylinders from 2 to 246166, 512  bytes/Cylinder
is this trouble?)

   Device  Boot Mount   Begin      End     Size   Pri  BBlks    System
/dev/sda1    *    *         2      256   252960     1      0  Amiga FFS
/dev/sda2         *       257     1056   793600     0      0  Amiga FFS
/dev/sda3         *      1057     5284   4194176     0      0  Linux native
/dev/sda4         *      5285     9512   4194176     0      0  Linux native
/dev/sda5         *      9513    13740   4194176     0      0  Linux native
/dev/sda6         *     13741    67649   53477728     0      0  Linux native
/dev/sda7         *     67650   244053   174992768     0      0  Linux native
/dev/sda8         *    244054   246166   2096096     0      0  Linux swap

The two Amiga partitions are both smaller than 1GB, so there should be no
problem to handle the Amiga partitions? hdtoolbox has a problem with the big
disks, thats why I partitioned it in Linux. Maybe, when I first set it up, I
only created the two Amiga partitions, but I will leave this to Ingo to
figure out ;-)
My AmigaOS manual says under hdtoolboox, see the Amiga harddisk manual, but
my A2k came without harddisk, so I don't have this manual.

> But do you need that?
> If the point here is to have a linux/m68k system and only need amiga
> partition for amiboot and kernels, you should prepare a tiny amigaos
> partition at the very start of the disk, smaller than 2GB.  That should be
> recognizable from AmigaOS and also be formattable.

That is the plan, I just need it to boot, maybe hold the installer files to
test the installation, and a couple of kernel images. Alas, the partitions
do not even show up in the early boot menu, even though the 1 partition is
bootable, so there is no chance to format it. I must be missing something
obvious, hdtoolbox can see the partitions, but nothing else can. Yes, I did
reboot.

> If you really need lots of amiga partitions, you need to update your
> system with newer scsi.device that handles large disks, and new filesystem
> that handles large filesystems.

I tried that also, I had these filesystems on my A2k, but they were beta
versions and have long since expired. I think I found some patches on Aminet
to remove the beta status, but I did not quite get it to work. And as you
said, with the "small" partitions (my first amiga disk had 100MB...) it
should not be necessary. It has been a while that I used AmigaOS, and I
don't think I will go back...

Christian