Re: crest.d.o and m68k.d.o

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 09:09:50AM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 01:28:21AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> >
> > P.S.: new disk for kullervo? When did the old one die, then?
>
> It did not die, none of the two tiny internal disks, nor the external disk.
> I just got tired of all the noise and weird setup, what are disks with less
> than 1GB still good for other than heating my appartment? So I finally
> bought the IDE-SCSI adapters I have been talking about for years, and a
> 250GB disk, for both crest and kullervo. crest has been using this disk for
> a least a month without any problems, other than me not being able to make
> the machine boot from the new installation, but that is probably due to the
> fact that I partitioned the disk and installed AmigaOS on it from my Amiga,
> since I have a working video out there. crest is a little picky in that
> regard (15kHz vs 31kHz modes), but I will try it again there, too, in case I
> succeed with kullervo.

In Linux, the new disk works fine, in AmigaOS the HDToolbox can see it,
change partitions, boot priorities, etc, but the Amiga partitions do not
show up in AmigaOS, even after a reboot, so I can not format them, or is
there a tool to format amiga partitions from AmigaOS?

I tried to boot with installation disks from floppy, but it seems the floppy
drive is broken, it did not recognize any of my floppies. I could change the
setup, so that it stll boots from the old disk, and then loads Linux off the
new disk, but I would really prefer to get rid of all old disks. Any ideas?
Why does hdtoolbox see the drive, but the formatter does not see it, is
there a special format tool for A3000 SCSI drivers? I could format the old
disks, so it should be possible with the new one also. Maybe it just needs a
different boot block?

Also, the mounting of the disks is "interesting", and there is very little
space in the case, the IDE-SCSI converter is maybe 2cm wider than the disk,
it does not fit in right now. Maybe if I move the floppy drive, I could make
it fit. If nothing works, I can still put the new disk into the external
case, but I'd prefer to have everything in the A3k case.

Christian