Re: [mac68k] Do you ant to play with a floppy ?

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> I notice you are using peculiar (to me) versions of compilers. 3.4 for
> m68k and 4.1 as cross compiler. Is this more compatible ?
>
> Reason I ask is there was some discussion on the list lately about have
> had held on to 3.3 too long and why and problems with 4.1 (and 4.2 now
> as well).

Don't be too suprised if developers have not rushed to adopt gcc 4.

Until relatively recently the upstream mac kernel wouldn't build with gcc
4 because it is more strict about language correctness than gcc 3 is.

Then there's the effort involved in re-tooling of cross-compilers.

And reliability is an open question. You _really_ don't want to be
debugging the kernel and the compiler at the same time.

We have no way to verify a compiler's correctness other than empirically.
No test suite provides complete coverage -- let alone proof. The only way
to determine whether gcc 4 is reliable is for people to use it.

You really need to build a kernel (from known good sources) and compare it
to a gcc 3 build.

-f