Re: m68k toolchain status?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Brad Boyer wrote:

> One issue is that I don't have a real copy of the ELF ABI documentation
> for m68k. I found a copy of the PPC documentation, but even that was
> difficult. Does anyone have a copy or hints on how to find it? I'm
> worried that the current ABI isn't really flexible enough to do TLS in a
> proper fashion.

I'm out of my depth here, so please take what I say with a grain of salt
-- but my impression is that we never followed the published standards
anyway:

http://c1.complang.tuwien.ac.at/cacaowiki/M68kCallingConventions

...which said: "Align ints to a word boundary.  This breaks compatibility
with the published ABI's for structures containing ints, but produces
faster code on cpus with 32-bit busses (020, 030, 040, 060, CPU32+,
ColdFire). It's required for ColdFire cpus without a misalignment
module."

The de facto ABI as defined by the toolchain itself may be more relevant
if the only published standards are obsolete.

-f