Re: m68k toolchain status?

> > > also, libc6 is two points behind (one major and one minor),
> > > 2.6 came out several weeks back and another upgrade of it
> > > last weekend.
> ?
>
> 1) there is an official upstream maintainer for libc6 at least
> at gnu listed as Andreas Schwab (schwab@suse.de) ...

I wonder how much time Andreas can spare for m68k these days. libc6
requires thread-local storage if I recall the discussion on this topic
here a few months back. m68k has no such thing ATM. While Andreas is
definitely doing bugfixes, adding support for TLS is a bit much to
expect.

> 2) in 2004 Mathias submitted to gnu.org testsuite results for
> debian arches with gcc3.3 including m68k. for 4.1 there were
> also tests made and submitted but not for m68k. for 4.2 tests are
> submitting presently (on the mail list but not fully archived yet).
>
> the reason partly i ask is that there seems to have been some
> difficulty building current kernel with gcc4.1. and I wonder if
> some problem may have been perpetuated there somehow ??

I do not think the kernel is expected to compile with 4.1, it simply
hasn't been tested thoroughly enough.

The kernel uses GCC features in an interesting way at times, and the GCC
developers do not take too much care to preserve these quirks between
versions. You will have to find a way around such problems by rewriting
the kernel code according to the then-current GCC standard.

> has m68k ever "passed" the 4.1 test suite ?? ?

The testsuite runs each time the compiler is built. If the testsuite
fails, the build fails. Is that what you wanted to know?