Re: cross gcc-4.1.2-12 packages

On 23/06/2007, at 2:52 PM, Brian Morris wrote:

I have plan to get a comm slot e/net card and then my q630 could
take two cards (although the lcIII card in there now is need by q605),
when my budget allows. then I could test using two network cards to
increase the network speed. but yes that is not the bottleneck (or
limiting factor).

Brian

Does it already have 128+ ram? Get the ram first.

The speed of disk write for paging memory is significantly slower than network.

Because of the way distcc and make waits to finish a directory a slow machine plodding along drags the rest of the machines with it.

Having done some ifconfig volume and timing testing I found the biggest slowdown was when a machine hit the upper limit of RAM and started paging. The next was when the CPU of the host started to page out on threads.
http://210.1.194.5/pub/res-distcc.pdf

The testing went from 8500 (Just installing an additional card) to 13000 with an additional NIC (specific routing used). but to 17500 with an additional NIC and tuned setup.

I suggest you get some code, make clean the "time make -j?" and work out the fastest combination.
My figures are j+2 for 36mb and j+8 for 128Mb machines.

How you set up your /etc/distcc/hosts is also important. Just doing 10.0.0.0/2 will limit all machines to 2 threads(because of the round- robin approach of distcc). Not limiting will cause page out on low- mem machines. I've found virtual interfaces to take extra lots of j2-3 work well. 10.0.0.11/9, 10.0.0.21/9 and 10.0.0.31/9 are the same machine with virtual interfaces, the 9 is because the server obviously polls the number of cc threads (there are a lot of Blocked messages on distcc-mon with 10.0.0.11/3)
--
Michael Tomkins
michft@gmail.com