X on Mac [Was: Re: linux-2.6.21 images for m68k libc?]

On 5/23/07, L Moore <ljmoore@wightman.ca> wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:13:19PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:

Dillo is X-dependent? What version of gcc is needed?

I used gcc4.1 to build Dillo against xorg libraries. but if there is some
trouble updating the debian package of it then you could try gcc3.3 with
xorg, transitionally.

> How about your X ? did you get going ? did you see my
> xconfig i posted that works (mostly). I am updating
> now to that thread and more later.

No luck with X so far. Removing xorg and re-installed xfree86
didn't help.
X and fbi hang the system.  Still working on it.

stick with Xorg, is my advice. it goes along with the upgrade. but
then you do what you can, when you can.

what is the name of your framebuffer device in your machine, you have
a q610 right ? I only have tried with q630. I am working to clean up some
old test disks from powermacs then I can copy it over to try on q605.

when I have work with the keyboard issue a bit more I will post my lastest
xorg.conf and also my setup process with fbset: you can test fbset with fbi.
but if you mess up fbset you have to rlogin from another computer or else
"the three finger salute" and going through rebooting w/ fsck is a pain.

if you have any old mac doesn't have to be running linux, you can rlogin
with macssh terminal program. I have an old powerbook68k that sit next to
my quadra for that and also provides some other things to look at while
keeping one eye on what the quadra is doing. otherwise I would be losing
my mind sitting there staring at it, as it does need sort of some babysitting.
I am doing my homework while it goes.

got a free powermac8500 this week with need minor repair. also has to
use framebuffer. it was good practice to compare with the quadra. it is
nice but it still has some other hardware needs. i think  I could not do either
architecture with out having the other to go back and forth. now I
learn somethings I can try back on the quadra.

--
Location: 43 58 8 N by 80 58 45 W
Growing zone: lowest 48-hour temperature -25C