Re: X on Mac [Was: Re: linux-2.6.21 images for m68k libc?]

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 04:40:48PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> On 5/23/07, L Moore <ljmoore@wightman.ca> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:13:19PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
>

> >Dillo is X-dependent? What version of gcc is needed?
>
> I used gcc4.1 to build Dillo against xorg libraries. but if there is some
> trouble updating the debian package of it then you could try gcc3.3 with
> xorg, transitionally.
Ok, that's about third in the stack of jobs
I'm told that I have to get sshd going to be able to login from
the other computer hung on the hub - a G4 running Macos9 - before all
else.

> >> How about your X ? did you get going ? did you see my
> >> xconfig i posted that works (mostly). I am updating
> >> now to that thread and more later.
> >>
> >No luck with X so far. Removing xorg and re-installed xfree86
> >didn't help.
> >X and fbi hang the system.  Still working on it.
> >
> stick with Xorg, is my advice. it goes along with the upgrade. but
> then you do what you can, when you can.

I'm re-installing xorg from the etch-m68k now.

> what is the name of your framebuffer device in your machine, you have

Name of my framebuffer? beyond /dev/fb0 ??

> a q610 right ? I only have tried with q630. I am working to clean up some
> old test disks from powermacs then I can copy it over to try on q605.
>
> when I have work with the keyboard issue a bit more I will post my lastest
> xorg.conf and also my setup process with fbset: you can test fbset with fbi.
> but if you mess up fbset you have to rlogin from another computer or else
> "the three finger salute" and going through rebooting w/ fsck is a pain.
>
> if you have any old mac doesn't have to be running linux, you can rlogin
> with macssh terminal program. I have an old powerbook68k that sit next to
> my quadra for that and also provides some other things to look at while
> keeping one eye on what the quadra is doing. otherwise I would be losing
> my mind sitting there staring at it, as it does need sort of some
> babysitting.
> I am doing my homework while it goes.
>
> got a free powermac8500 this week with need minor repair. also has to
> use framebuffer. it was good practice to compare with the quadra. it is
> nice but it still has some other hardware needs. i think  I could not do
> either
> architecture with out having the other to go back and forth. now I
> learn somethings I can try back on the quadra.

Keep us posted? Thanks.

--
Location: 43 58 8 N by 80 58 45 W
Growing zone: lowest 48-hour temperature -25C