Re: Debian-NetBSD for 68k would ease porting issues ?

On 4/9/07, DataZap <az@datazap.net> wrote:
Hi,

With few exceptions (like the kernel) NetBSD is binary compatible across
the 68k ports. Is there a simple way to make this work in linux?

-Al

it is working, now. are you running linux ?

i hope you did not misunderstand my question.

i was about using debian package system and packages with the netbsd
kernel instead of the linux kernel. that is what they call debian-netbsd
and it is part of debian and supports i386 and alpha.

i myself have mostly work with debian the last couple years (besides
macos and some debian packages port to macosX called fink).
but i just recently have been playing with netbsd on my mac quadra.
so far i don't even know how to get them to read each others
file systems never mind share binaries.

but there is some part at least of debian package system such
as dpkg and apt. so i could try to get those on my netbsd system,
then i could install debian packages. there would be perhaps
some basic packages and then i am not sure if later the debian
binary would work straight off. but there might be trouble too
since netbsd currently with their new release has gcc3.3 as
main compiler and debian has gcc4.1 ...

on the other hand it may be (i am not sure) that there would
be little or no porting work to compile from source the
packages already set up in the debian-netbsd-i386. less
hassle than dealing with new packages coming in to debian-linux-68k
from debian-linux-i386.

i know people put some very hard work into getting the 2.6.18 kernel
of linux for 68k to go and it would be sad to switch to netbsd perhaps
but in the long term that also might be easier as for the consolidation.

actually there appears to be much more humanity over there as
regards i know not that 68k is in any trouble because they are
not forced to keep up with any 15, 000 packages. there is the problem
perhaps they have too much autonomy whereas in debian there
is too little. except supposedly in netbsd there are few porting issues
to create division with forced timetables and such.

Brian